Скористайтеся іншим способом оплати або купіть роботу після реєстрації на сайті та поповнення балансу всередині системи
Antithesis: semantic structure and stylistic functions in various types of literary discourse
CHAPTER 1 ANTITHESIS AS A RHETORICAL FIGURE. 5
1.1. Definition of the term “antithesis”. The history of its origin and philosophical significance. 5
1.2. The use of antonyms as a means of achieving contrast 8
CHAPTER 2 STYLISTIC FUNCTIONAL FEATURES OF ANTITHESIS. 12
2.1. Antithesis as a figure of opposition. 12
2.2. Stylistic functions of antithesis in prose and poetry. 13
LIST OF DATA SOURCES
31. Брэдбери Р. 4510 по Фаренгейту: [книга для чтения на англ. языке] / Брэдбери Р. – СПб.: Антология, 2005. – 128 с.
32. Мудрість народна – мудрість міжнародна (прислів'я, приказки, крилаті вислови та мовні звороти дев'ятьма мовами) / [Жовківський А. М., Жовківська Г. А., Івасютин Т. Д. та ін.]. – Чернівці: Рута, 2004. – 256 с.
33. Уайльд О. Избранные произведения (на англ. яз.) / Уайльд О. – М.: Прогресс, 1979. – 392 с.
34. Шекспир У. Сонеты. На английском языке с параллельным русским текстом / Сост. А.Н. Горбунов. – М.: Радуга, 1984. – 368 с.
35. Austen J. Pride and prejudice [= Гордость и предубеждение] / Austen J. – М.: Айрис-пресс, 2006. – 192 с.
36. Chesterton G. Stories about Father Brown : [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу: http://adelanta.info/library/detective/281.html?lan=for
37. Dickens Ch. A Tale of Two Cities / Dickens Ch. – M.: Addison Wesley Publishing Company, 2000. – 135 p.
38. Hood Th. Selected poems / Ed. by C. Dyment. – London: Grey Walls, 1949. – 64 p.
39. Irving W. The Alhambra / Irving W. – Moscow: Fiction, 2004. – 308 p.
40. Jerome K. Jerome. Three Men in a Boat / Jerome K. Jerome. – L.: Penguin Books, 2003. – 118 p.
41. Parkman F. The Works of Francis Parkman. – Volume 18 : [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу: http://worldbook.ariom.ru/book/1142027260.html
42. Shakespeare W. A Madrigal : [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу http://www.stihi.ru/2008/04/04/3705
43. Shakespeare W. Othello : [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу
Тип: Курсова робота
Кількість сторінок: 24
Розмір шрифту: 14
Мова: Англійська мова
Кафедра: Англійська мова та література
Кількість виносок: 3
Унікальність роботи: 80% - eTXT Антиплагіат
Кількість джерел: 43
Antithesis is a stylistic device that consists in comparison of opposite thoughts or images to enhance the impression. In logic it is a judgment which contradicts the thesis. Antithesis is a necessary part of indirect proof.
Antithesis is a stylistic figure, comparison of contrasting phenomena, images and concepts, often based on antonyms.
The Review of scientific literature on the investigation of linguistic means of expression antithesis (L. P. Efimov, O. Yu. Dubenko, I. V. Arnold, L. G. Verba, N. F. Pelevina, O. N. Morokhovskyy, L. I. Matsko, M. I. Pentylyuk, O. D. Ponomariv, N. A. Kolotilova etc.) [8; 6; 1; 3; 18; 23; 16; 19; 21; 10] makes it possible to assert that in modern linguistics insufficient attention is given to this problem. The vast majority of research is based on the achievements of scientists, philosophers and rhetoricians. Yet in modern linguistics the language aspects of this phenomenon are not so widely investigated by researchers.
The topicality of the research is determined by the fact that the problem of investigation of antithesis, its semantic structure and stylistic functions in various types of literary discourse is insufficiently elaborated in contemporary linguistics and translation studies.
The object of the research is antithesis.
The subject of the research is the semantic structure and stylistic functions of antithesis in various types of literary discourse.
The aim of this paper is confined to the analysis of the peculiarities of antithesis, its semantic structure and stylistic functions in various types of literary discourse.
The realization of the given aim is expressed in special objectives:
- to define the concept of antithesis;
- to analyze different approaches to the use of antonyms as a means of achieving contrast;
- to investigate the stylistic features of antithesis in literary discourse;
- to analyze the antithesis as a figure of opposition.
The data sources of the research are poetic and prose works of English and American authors.
The following methods are used in the research: descriptive, comparative, the method of context-interpretation, the method of definitions.
The theoretical value of this paper is ensured by the contribution that the obtained result may be used in general linguistics, communicative linguistics, text and discourse theories.
The practical value of the research results is determined by the potential ability to apply the results obtained to teaching theoretical grammar, text linguistics and semantics in the institutions of higher education.
The structure of the paper. The Course paper consists of Introduction, two chapters, conclusions, Bibliography, the list of reference sources, the list of data sources.
ANTITHESIS AS A RHETORICAL FIGURE
1.1. Definition of the term “antithesis”. The history of its origin and philosophical significance
Antithesis is a rhetorical figure that lies in a deliberately underlined juxtaposition of two opposing, but related concepts, events, things, ideas and images to enhance the impressions [16, p. 367].
Antithesis can be used in comparisons, reinforcing the effect of surprise:
For as the sun is daily new and old,
So is my love still telling what is told [34, p. 57].
The basis of the rhetorical figure of antithesis is a philosophical understanding of the world as a unity of opposites, the dialectical development of which is by law of double negation and withdrawal of opposites through their synthesis that is the transition to a new quality, which then also develops into the opposite, and so ad infinitum. In philosophy, it looks like the famous Hegelian triad: thesis – antithesis – synthesis, in which we see antithesis as a section, core knowledge of things, after which comes a true synthesis of already proven quality. Antithesis is a way of deepening nature of the known phenomena [7, p. 243].
The ancient method of understanding reality is based on antithesity of the very universe and life in it (the sky – the earth, day – night, light – darkness, life – death, a moment – an eternity, good – evil, right – wrong, joy – grief). The first philosophers and rhetoricians of the ancient world paid attention to this. Ancient mythology has been penetrated by antithetic expressions (gods of light and darkness, good and evil, peace and war), folklore and ancient literature of all peoples.
In the rhetoric of ancient Greek sophist and orator Gorgias antithesis is a fundamental rhetorical figure. It entered the circle of the so-called Gorgian figures for all subsequent times and in all rhetoricians. Greek and Roman orators, including Cicero, used moral and ethical antithesis particularly skillfully.
Antithesity as the principle of outlook and worldview of literary texts, laudable speeches is revealed through a system of antitheses, based on the comparison and (or) the contrast of single-word pairs (winter – summer, laughing – crying, good – bad, say – to be silent), structures (e.g., columns in the period) and parts of the text – up to antithesis, which may be the entire text. The next poem by Robert Graves can be regarded as the antithesis: